"The infant's need for body contact is compelling. If that need is not adequately satisfied, even though all other needs are adequately met, he or she will suffer."
- Dr. Ashley Montagu
Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
Infant Massage Instruction
People have often asked me why do babies need massage? My answer is simple, everyone needs massage, even babies. Here's why. Did you know that touch is the first sense developed in utero and the most developed at birth. It is the very first form of communication for a baby and all other senses rely on touch for sensory information.
It is believed that if caregivers provide positive touch to their children, then they will grow up to be adults with healthy self-esteem, appropriate boundaries and long-lasting intimate relationships.
A Certified Infant Massage Teacher (CIMT) is an instructor that educates and teaches parents and caregivers to massage their babies. The massage therapist does not directly massage your baby. It is important that it is the parent/caregiver giving their babies massage. This is a time of bonding between parent and baby.I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. I’m a great place for you to tell a story and let your users know a little more about you.
There are many benefits of infant massage, here are some of the benefits.
Benefits for Baby
- bonding; time focused with caregiver.
- relaxation; produces oxytocin (feel good hormone).
- communication; special time for verbal & non verbal cues.
- development; increase in weight gain, enhances neurological development, improve sleep pattern, aids in sensory awareness.
- most of all it's fun!
Benefits for Parents
- bonding; focused time together, eye-to-eye contact and skin-to-skin contact.
- relaxation; parents relax, decrease stress & promotes the release of nurturing hormones.
- Communication; a time to learn & understand verbal & non-verbal cures, enhances respect for child.
- Confidence; increases to meet baby's needs & follow their own intuition.
Please call to book your private infant massage instruction. Please stay tuned for group class dates.